Friday, June 12, 2009

There is no everybody in task

As far as I can tell, one of the basic tenants of agile work is that tasks should be time-boxed, complete (clear goal to finish), understandable, and everybody can do them. The first three requirements are already no picnic but we are learning. The 4th one is proving to be a bear.

The tasks are very obviously either for me or for Claudia. This makes the burn-down of limited use. If she sees that I am behind she usually cannot help and vice versa. It is partially due to our unique (sometimes non-overlapping) skill sets and partially due to geographic location (access to equipment).

I am not sure what adjustments to make here...

1 comment:

  1. Heh, this is a huge gripe I have had for a long time. Pretty much every team I have been on, small ones in particular, have members that tend to be specialized. I don't know if this is just an effect of our nature as engineers to create teams that are very well rounded, or what, but it makes passing tasks amongst team members pretty much impossible. When you figure this one out, let me know.

    ReplyDelete